Monday, June 7, 2010

The New 1950's Houswife's View on Cooking

I wake up each day around 8 AM. My husband leaves for work at 6:30. Part of being a 1950’s housewife in 2010 is NOT waking up before your husband gets up to do your make up and make his breakfast and pack his lunch. 1950’s housewives in 2010 recognize the importance of beauty sleep and my husband enjoys waking up to seeing my ass cheeks poke out of my nightgown. I made the offer to my husband several times to wake me up when he gets up so I can make him breakfast. He prefers to let me sleep in. How sweet is that? I may attempt to get up early tomorrow since I have a phone interview at 9 AM.

Now 1950’s housewives in 2010 also do not make their husband’s lunch. Why? Because today’s housewives are more health conscious than in the 1950’s. If I pack my husband’s lunch it will be with all health food leaving him to toss it and go to McDonald’s. Yeah I am sure he would be so thrilled about me packing a Morning Star Brand Meatless meal, vegetables, fruit, and tea. So that leaves today’s housewives only having to make dinner...EXCEPT for the weekend! You must prepare breakfast and lunch.

Not every dinner is homemade. As much as I try to we have to make some shortcuts to save money. One of those short cuts is hamburger helper. YUCK! My husband and I have not eaten hamburger helper since we were dirt poor when we first were married. There is so much sodium in that crap that I bloat to the point I look like I am 5 months pregnant. We will only eat it occasionally and I only use a half pound of 96% ground meat so it ends up not being the worst thing in the world and only costs about $3.00 for the whole meal. And yes, my ground beef is clearance beef I take out of the freezer. Other shortcuts are pizza and bagged meals in the frozen isle. When I do make homemade food it is to die for. I do consider myself an excellent cook and baker. My husband’s favorites are my spiced tilapia and pasta. I can make one hell of a reduced fat cupcake and southern style banana pudding.

Now since this is the only meal I have to focus on for my husband it is cooked to perfection and hot as soon as he walks in the door. I make sure to start dinner when he leaves work so it is ready for him. The table is set when he comes home and there is a frosty mug in the freezer waiting for his beer. I touch up may make-up before he comes home so I look picture perfect in my dress and apron with dinner all ready for my hard working husband. There are two days a week this does not happen. On the nights I go to karate I usually leave before Tony comes home or shortly after. He still has a meal but does not see me all dolled up and it is normally a short cut meal. Nothing sexier than a karate uniform.

Now homemakers with kids may be cursing me right now but let it go...I am having fun with this and I can't imagine what it is like to do all of this with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment