Sunday, June 13, 2010

Baby Shower, Friends, and Other Sunday Fun

I went to my friends’ baby shower today. Okay…I love my friend and will do any thing for her but baby showers make me want to hurl. I am not sure exactly what it is. Maybe all the awing over how small the clothes are and the talk about sore nipples, dirty diapers, and vomit. Or maybe my problem is I cannot relate to any of it since I do not have kids. One of the games we had to play was to make a baby out of play dough. That stuff has come a long way since I was a kid. It is nice and fluffy now and does not stink like a dead rat…just as a type that my dog lets one go. So nasty. Anyway, back to the baby making, Misty made this game fun. While I was stuffing my face with this amazing honey mustard dip and pretzels I look over at the game table and see Misty and her mom leaning over the play dough baby and laughing. Knowing Misty this could only mean one thing…she gave the baby a penis with blue balls. It was hysterical and classic Misty. The food was good. I ate so much. At least it was with cheese, fruit, vegetables, and low fat cake but I still feel like I completely blew my weight watcher points today…the points I am no longer counting. Did I mention I am stuffing my face with a huge bowl of popcorn right now too? I think tomorrow I go back to counting points.

I really did not realize people read my blog. My friend stopped over tonight; the one that did not invite us to the fundraising event. He apologized for not inviting us and thought Tony and I were out of town when he was making the original plans. I did express that it would have been nice to have the heads up rather than finding out about it on facebook to avoid any misunderstanding. I know the event was about him and had nothing to do with Tony and I and we should be celebrating his life and being cancer free. I am more emotional now than ever with being unemployed and tend to let that get in the way of things. In the end there was misunderstanding on both sides and some hurt feelings but it is something that I know we can easily get over. I love my friends dearly which is why we both were hurt rather than mad.

I still want to stress about treating your unemployed friends the same. That posting was not directed towards my friends other than the one paragraph. That day I had a conversation with another friend whose husband does not work while he is kicking off his not for profit organization. She told me about a few situations when people left her out of events because they knew she was making financial cut backs. Then with what happened that day to me I felt compelled to express not to change how you treat your friends when they are unemployed. Her stories were heartbreaking and hard to believe people really treat you differently when living off of one income. It has only been a little over a month for me making changes but a few years for her.

I had another SCORE with DirectTV. I called them yesterday to cancel my renewal for the NFL Sunday Ticket. Tony was so going to kill me when he finds out. When the lady asked me why I had to cancel I told her I lost my job and am making cut backs. She offered me $5 off a month for six months. I told her I was still not sure and asked if she could go any more. She came back with $10 off a month for six months. I will take it! Tony still gets to keep his Sunday Ticket and we are saving $60. I also recently had $5 taken off for three months as well because DirectTV had a huge screw up with the DVR upgrade. I bet the software engineer that approved that upgrade is no longer working.

Tony and his biker friends were held up in a rainstorm today so I did not have to do any cooking. They ended up eating dinner at a pizza place while I sit here and write this blog while continuing to shove massive amounts of popcorn down my throat. However, when Tony got home we realized the plums on our tree were getting ripe. We planted the plum tree about four years ago and never were able to get plums off of it until now. The bugs always beat us to it. I do not like plums. Way too sweet for me but Tony likes them. He picked about every single one he could find and I have a feeling it was a bit too early for them. They are very sweet. I am going to make jam out of them for Tony. It should be interesting since I never made jam before. Will blog about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment