Saturday, June 12, 2010

I'm Unemployed, Not Dead!

One of the worst things you can do to a friend that is unemployed is to treat them like they do not even exist. Some people may think it is better to just not include your unemployed friend in activities but it is just the opposite. You should still invite your unemployed friend on outings and let them decide if financially they can go. Do not make that decision for them. Your friend just had his or her job taken away from them and it is not right to take away their choices.

So far a majority of my friends have been very supportive with my unemployment. They still treat me like nothing happened but at the same time still ask how the job search is going and ask if there is any thing they can do for me. It is so nice to know I have people that care about me. Recently Tony and I were not invited to an event that was free for a fundraiser because our friends did not want us to feel bad for not being able to bid on auction items. Our other friends were invited. Our friendship is more important than our pride and I had to find out about this event after it happened through facebook. I am more hurt than mad, even cried a bit. I would have loved to have gone to the event. It looked like a great time that Tony and I need right now. And it was FREE! I felt like I was kicked while being down. I should also mention I donated money to this charity prior to me being unemployed and Tony sold more raffle tickets than anyone for a prior event. I have not talked to my friend about what happened and probably will not unless they bring it up. While their heart may have been in the right place they clearly did not think it through on how my feelings would be hurt if I found out about the event.

So bottom line if you care about your unemployed friend(s) continue to treat them as an equal while showing you care about their job search and success. If you are going to an amusement park with some friends still invite them with and let them make the decision to go or not. If you want to have lunch with you friend invite them but be smart on where you choose to take them. A place where it is $50 a plate is not the smartest choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment