Friday, June 11, 2010

All you have to do is ask

I made several phone calls to companies to try to reduce my bills since being laid off. Below are my successes.

My first call was to DirectTV. I went to the lowest package possible which is not even advertised on their website and I cancelled HBO. While cancelling HBO the service representative asked if I would be interested in another movie station. Gee…I just told him I lost my job and he is trying to sell me on something else. I told him not unless you can give it to me for free. He paused for a few seconds and offered me three free months of Showtime. SCORE! When Tony got home that evening he turned on the TV and the first channel he always goes to is ESPN. All the sudden I hear yelling from downstairs with Tony freaking out that ESPN and CNN are no longer part of our package. He insists I get our old channels back. I told him he can look up sports online and this is the way it is going to be for a while. We are saving about $50 a month with our cut backs on DirectTV.

Next was Time Warner Cable for my home phone and internet service. I explained my situation and they offered me a promotional rate for my home phone so I did not have to down grade. I saved another $16 a month there. I could downgrade my internet speed to save another $10 but since I am constantly searching for jobs online I might drive myself insane with a slow internet speed.

There is not much I can change with Sprint. I already have a business discount rate but Sprint did come to my aid with the international calling fees I had to make while in Curacao because of American Airlines (that is another story). I asked if I could get the international calling charges waived since I had to make emergency phone calls due to a day delay getting off the island because of American Airlines. Fees Waived except for the calls I had to make to American Airlines when they screwed up my new tickets. They said I should recoup those costs from American Airlines. Still waiting on a response to my letter to them.

Before I left for Curacao I had to see the doctor for my ear. I had blockage in my ear and it is not very safe to fly with ear issues. When she was getting ready to hand me my prescription I asked if she had a sample I could have since I am unemployed. She disappeared for a while and then came back with the nasal spray she took from another doctor’s stash to help me. Saved about a $20 copay there.

I redeemed Marriott points for the trip to Curacao. I was given a garden view room for free. Upon arrival I asked for an upgrade with my gold status. Bam! Upgraded to ocean view. My surprise stay because of American Airlines landed Tony and I another night in Curacao at the Renaissance by Marriott. Again I asked for an upgrade because of my status and we were put in the Executive one bedroom suite.

I called my auto and home insurance company, All State. I did not want to make any changes to my policy but wanted to know if there are any additional savings I qualify for. My agent did a re-write of my policy and I am saving $30 a month on my auto and $45 a year on my home insurance. My policy stated the same with no changes in coverage.

My schedule for my trip to WI in July and August keeps changing with United Airlines. When I called the airline to see what was going on it turns out they are slowly pulling their services out of central WI. Because of the inconvenience of my schedule now Tony and I each received $250 ticket vouchers to use in the next year. Just a simple phone call. Too bad American Airlines will not take any complaints by phone…assholes.

The point of this posting is to have the guts to just ask if you want something. The worst they can say is no. You would be amazed how far just asking with a smile or sweet tone will go with people. I have been mastering this art for the last few years and it is amazing all the upgrades and savings I received because of just asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment