Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Unwanted Kitchen Help and Sleepless Nights

Yesterday I was still struggling with headaches. Tony came home and dinner was not ready. He was starving. I did have chicken and shrimp marinating in the fridge. They just needed to go on skewers and I needed to get a box of pasta roni cooking. All I did was ask him to get the grill ready. Next thing I know my husband is helping me out and getting the skewers ready. One problem. My husband is not a cook and he starts putting the chicken and shrimp on the same skewers. The shrimp is precooked so it only needs about five minutes when the chicken needs 10. I tell him they cannot go on the same skewer and he starts getting angry at me for criticizing him when he is just helping. I also hate seafood so I do not want the chicken anywhere near the shrimp. I took care of correcting the skewers and he put them on the grill. A couple of minutes go by and I see him heading out to the grill with only one plate. He is going to let the shrimp touch the chicken. Okay…I was being an ornery bitch when I asked him to get a separate plate for the chicken and he responded appropriately with “Unbelievable!” I appreciate the help but if he had just let me do it we would not be having a little spat. If you are going to help out in my kitchen you need to ask how things are done and not assume. I am very picky about how I prep, cook, and serve. Yes I am over the top but I like things done right.

The chicken was really good. I marinated it in honey Dijon, lemon juice, and parsley. Tony liked the shrimp we had at Mom’s house a few weeks back so I looked up the recipe for basil shrimp and made it for him. When asked how he liked it he said “Ok but I like it on the stove better.” I do make a great shrimp scampi but at that moment I wanted to stab the skewer in his leg.

Later that night I had a very difficult time sleeping. For some reason about five months ago Tony started grinding his teeth in his sleep while making a sucking sound. I really wonder what kind of dreams he has to add a sucking noise. I am a very light sleeper so I wake up to everything. I took a Tylenol PM to help me fall asleep but it did not get the job done. Tony was grinding his teeth, Sydney was snoring, and there was a fricken bug outside my window chirping. After about an hour the chirping stopped. I was praying it is one of those male bugs that makes a god awful noise to mate and then the female eats the male once she is satisfied. I was beginning to think my wish came true until 1 AM when the little f*ck*r started up again. I finally had enough and slept on the couch. This was the first time Tony’s teeth grinding and other things was too much for me to handle. I was on the verge of tears I wanted to just fall asleep so badly. Tony woke up and realized I was on the couch. Until then I do not think he realized how bad his teeth grinding is. I would think all the times he woke up with bruised ribs would have been a giveaway. So for my birthday this week I hope I open up a mouth guard for him. I will get some sleep and he will no longer look in the mirror, rub his side, and ask if I punched him during the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment