Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Love of Animals

Yesterday I was cuddling with Oscar on the couch. He was stretched out on my stomach and pressed against the back of the couch. I looked at him with a huge smile on my face. I am glad to have my three dogs and cat and am able to provide them with a good home. It really saddens me the thought that 6-8 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year in the United States because people do not spay and neuter their pets. It is not fare animals have to die because of human negligence. It is not their fault they were born and just want to be loved.

The Crew

I long for the day spaying and neutering animals is mandatory until the pet population is under control. I understand allowing reputable breeds the ability to still breed their dogs but we also need harsher restrictions on who can do it to get rid of the puppy mills and eliminate the people that do it purely for profit. It really pisses me off to see card board signs outside of homes saying “Puppies for Sale”. Makes me want to stop at their house and scream at them to get their animal fixed.

Oscar

Jack and Sydney are shelter dogs. Milo was a stray and Oscar came from a breeder. After what I experienced volunteering at the animal shelter I am a bit embarrassed to have a dog from a breeder. I did search for a Shih Tzu in local shelters before getting Oscar. Otis, our Shih Tzu - Lasa mix that passed away five years ago was from a shelter. In fact Tony and I adopted him when he was 9 years old! Most dogs are doomed for euthanasia at that point. He lived another five years and brought so much joy to Tony and me. Volunteering in the animal shelter really changed my life. I saw a terrible side of animal cruelty. Knowing animals are abused is hard enough but actually seeing the starvation and the wounds is very hard to take in.

Otis

It also tears me up to see abused animals. Our laws on animal abuse are too relaxed. We need harsher punishments for those that abuse animals and kill them. There is no reason for it. I can tell Jack was abused before we adopted him. He cowers when he sees bats or anything that can be used as a weapon. He also is fearful of yelling and loud voices. It breaks my heart to know in the first few months of his life he was treated horribly and almost three years later is still affected by it. He is getting better but it takes time.

Jack and Sydney

Every now and then I go on pet finder and the local shelters just to look at dogs and cats. I wish I could save them all but I know it is not possible. I wish we had room for just one more dog or cat but our house is too small. Our life is a bit crazy sometimes with the four pets but I would not have it any other way. I loved these guys and would do everything for them.

Milo

Next time you are ready for a pet please go to your local shelter or rescue group. If you are stuck on purebreds they do exist in the shelters. Look around your house and consider adding another member to your family and save a life from the shelter. You don’t need a puppy. Adult dogs are very trainable and you get to skip the potty training phase! These dogs are not broken. They have open hearts and are ready to love you.

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than himself.”
- Josh Billings

No comments:

Post a Comment