Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Finished The Lost Dogs!


I finished The Lost Dogs yesterday. My favorite story in the book was about Jonny Justice who used to be named Jonny Rotten by Vick. I first saw a picture of Jonny on the cover of PARADE in my Sunday paper on August 15. I ready about his story in PARADE and saved the paper waiting for The Lost Dogs book to be released. The story of Jonny is very inspiring. He was scared of everything when he went to his foster home. In the end Jonny passed the American Temperament Test, Canine Good Citizens certificate, and is a certified Therapy Dog. Jonny works in a programmed called Paws for Tails. Yes, that is Jonny in the picture!

“It was a reading program for children run through Peninsula Humane Society and SPCA. It was designed to get kids into the library and reading, but also allow kids who lacked confidence in their reading abilities to practice out loud in front of one of the most receptive and nonjudgmental audiences they’d ever find.”

Isn’t it incredible that Jonny Justice was a Vick dog! This really shows how all dogs need a purpose in life and most can overcome the worst of conditions and behaviors. Many of the Vick dogs did end up earning the Canine Good Citizens certificate and a few others did pass the Therapy Dog test.

Jasmine’s story was very touching and heartbreaking all at the same time. I do not want to give away too much about Jasmine so you will have to buy Jim Gorant’s book!

It was ironic I finished this book at the same time President Obama called the Philadelphia Eagle’s coach and congratulated him on giving Vick a second chance. I voted for President Obama and support most of the ideas and policies but this pissed me off. I am one that can look at two different perspectives before drawing a conclusion. I do believe Vick does deserve a second chance to make things right for what he did and get a job but not being the quarterback for the Eagles pulling in millions of dollars each year. Are you kidding me? Tony and I do not agree so much on this subject because Vick does have an amazing talent when it comes to football but I feel he should not be allowed to play again in the NFL. For me it is hard to believe people can overcome certain behaviors. I do not believe pedophiles are ever cured and do not believe animal abusers ever lose that desire to harm. Some argue that President Obama’s message is that we can all give people a second chance at redemption. Give me a break. The message criminals see is “great, I can screw up, rob some banks, shot someone, and if I get caught I can be like Vick and get a second chance.” Sorry to upset some of you but that is my view.

There were so many people and organizations that took part in the redemption of the Vick dogs. So many more stories of heartbreak and triumph and more education than I could have imagined when I bought the book. I highly recommend you buy this book next time you are in Barnes and Noble or order it off of Amazon right now! This book is now my favorite book of all time…even passing up Marley and Me.

Thank you Jim for writing The Lost Dogs!

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Dogs-Michael-Rescue-Redemption/dp/1592405509/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293551374&sr=8-1

Here is a link to BAD RAP’s blog page. http://badrap-blog.blogspot.com/
Just because the book ended does not mean the stories of the Vick Dogs do. Follow them on blogger. http://vickdogsblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment