Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Good Day and Bad Day in Karate

Yesterday in karate I had a good time and a bad time. In line drill I performed the best I have since before my knee surgery. I still need to work on turning to the side better but that will come with time once my knee is fully healed. Right now the twisting can be a bit too hard on my knee. If you do not know what line drill is I think the best way to describe it is one person stands facing a line of people. The people come one at a time either punching or kicking and you have to defend against them. The line moves pretty fast when we go full speed. You and probably You Tube it to see what it looks like. It felt great. I was able to get most of my confidence back in line drill.

In the next class we did kick drills and worked on katas. My kicks still need to get a bit higher but doing well considering. I worked with one of the master instructors on my bo kata and he said I was doing really well. Just a few things I need to fix.

The last class we sparred and did another line drill. I used to love to spar, which is fighting. When I fractured my toes in November 2009 I stopped sparring. I am defensive so sparring is not something I am tested on but still need to be good at for the promotion ceremony. I hadn’t sparred in a while and quite frankly suck at it. The people in class were really great with helping relearn some of the basic techniques when really they could have taken advantage of the situation and kicked the crap out of me. I can not use kicks in sparring…well I could but I would not be able to get them up high enough or fast enough to make them effective at this point and probably would have injured myself. Not being able to kick in sparring creates a huge disadvantage but also makes me work harder on my hand movements which still suck right now. I was hit in the face a few times and have a nice mark above my eyebrow today but it does not hurt. Can’t win them all and need to take the beating to learn how to defend.

When we did the line drill in the last class I told everyone no take downs for me. People do forget and it does happen when you get in the moment. I can’t be taken down hard until my knee is healed. Well, one person forgot and I was not prepared. I went flat down on my back and neck. I could not see their faces but hear the noises the people in line made and I knew it did not look good. It hurt so badly it took everything I had not to cry. That teaches me I need to be prepared at all times because I cannot rely on other people to remember. Today at work I look rather interesting. My face is not looking good from the back and neck pain and stomach pain since I took Advil on an empty stomach last night. I have a heating pad on me. Ice would be nice but there is not an ice pack large enough for my neck and back. Heat is the next best thing. During line drill I kept trying to keep going after that slam and then my toe bent funny and tripped over it. Instructor had me sit aside after that. It does not feel like I fractured it again but hurts today. Same toe I dropped my handheld blender on last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment