Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book Review - The Art of Racing in the Rain



The Art of Racing in the Rain
By Garth Stein


On the flight to Arizona last January the guy sitting next to me was reading this book and he could not put it down. Not long after he told me what a great book it is the flight attendant passed us by and noticed we both were book readers. She too, asked if we had ever read The Art of Racing in the Rain and recommended what a great book it is.

I really could not put this book down. It is not a non-fiction book like the ones I am interested in but it still kept me wanting to read more. The title of the book comes from car racing. I originally thought it was a dog running in the rain. The book does a great job at targeting both men and women to read this book but for me I could have done with a little less car racing and a little more drama.

The setting of this book is when Denny gets Enzo as a puppy. Soon the family grows as Denny finds a wife and then their baby girl comes along. Eve, Denny’s wife, become ill with cancer, followed by her death and then a court battle against his in-laws for custody of his daughter. The book is written from Enzo’s view which puts a cute twist on things. You always wonder what is going through a dog’s head and Stein does a great job making it entertaining and humorous.

This book does make me want to read more fiction books. When reading People Magazine this week, one book they reviewed is called Emily and Einstein by Linda Francis Lee. It is about a husband that dies and comes back as his wife's dog to undo the wrongs he did to her during their marriage. Seems like my kind of book. My Aunt Nanu also told me about a book called A Dog's Purpose I have yet to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment