Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

I like to relax on Valentine’s Day with Tony. It is nothing I ever really made a big deal over. This year I told him not to get me flowers or chocolate. I do not like spending money on flowers when we grow them in our yard. I do not need chocolate since I am trying to lose weight.

This year I prepared lasagna on Sunday night. Since Tony gets home about two hours before I do now all he had to do was put it in the oven before I came home on Monday. I also made Hungry Girl Red Velvet cup cakes as our desert. Prepared those on Sunday as well. When I came home yesterday Tony had the lasagna ready along with garlic bread and beans.

Now normally I would post a picture of my amazing lasagna however, this is one of those meals that does not require a picture or directions. If you cannot make lasagna there is no hope for you. All you need to do is throw in some noodles, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, meal, some Italian seasonings, and some spinach if you like. You do not have to measure; just do what looks good. I only measured out what I was using this time around to I could calculate the weight watcher points.

Back to our evening. We rented a movie from Netflix called Play the Game with Andy Griffith. Half of the move was about his character trying to get women at the retirement home. It started out slow. The guy that plays his grandson is not that great of an actor but the movie gets better. We laughed through most of it. I really was surprised there were no romantic movies on any of the TV stations last night. Last year there were a few to choose from.

So now you may be wondering what did I get for Valentine’s Day. I asked Tony to clean my car. Now many of you may think that is not that big of a deal but if you saw or even smelt the inside of my car you would understand. I hate cleaning my car. Tony wanted a new Ford emblem for his truck since his is deteriorating. He bought it on Ebay.

When it comes to gift giving I prefer to be surprised. Tony does not do this very often at all. Ever few years if that but I also think that is what makes surprise gifts so special. I am not talking about when we are in a store and I see something I like and he tells me to buy it. It is when he finds something he knows I will like or buys something just because he was thinking of me. That is what counts. The last time he surprised me was about three years ago. He used money he won in safety bingo at work to buy me a necklace I liked at Kohls. I was so shocked. He never bought me jewelry for no reason. Even small gifts like a Hershey teddy bear he found at the airport on his way home from a work trip. That was about 4 years ago and it still sits on my dresser. A few years back while he had to get a few things at Walmart he came home with a tank top for me that was on clearance. It is a cute shirt and even funnier it came from Walmart. I cannot wear it because it is white and completely see through. My nipples say hello to the world. But I still keep it. Probably the first and last time he will ever surprise me with a piece of clothing. However, every year when I get out my summer clothes I pull out that white tank top, try it on and remember why I do not wear, and put it back with a smile on my face because he bought it for me.

So for me, I do not care to get gifts from Tony because of a holiday or birthday. I do not want him to feel obligated. I prefer to be surprised with random gifts. Even if they are cheap and every few years. Those are the ones I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment