Sunday, February 13, 2011

Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

I made this yesterday for dinner. It is so good and low in fat. I ate mine with low fat tortilla chip and Tony made his into a chicken taco. The best thing was I used ingredients I already had in my pantry and fridge.



Black beans were not on the ingredient list but I added them in. When the meal was about ready it still looked a little watery to me so I filled that in by using the black beans. The recipe calls for salsa but does not say if it is chunky or pureed. I used pureed which is why I think it was more watery. My suggestion would be if you are using the pureed salsa do not add the 1/2 cup of water the recipe calls for. If you are using chunky salsa then add the 1/2 cup water. I loved it with the black beans added to it. Also I did not think it had that much of a taco flavor. I ran out of taco seasoning so I added Tastefully Simples Fiesta Party Dip Mix to give it more spice. If you do not have that I suggest adding another 1 - 2 tbs of taco seasoning.





Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

Prep: 10 mins
Cook Time: 6 - 8 hrs
Serves: 8
Cost per serving: $1.33

Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbs taco seasoning
1 cup canned petite diced tomatoes
1 small onion diced (about a cup)
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup salsa
3 tbsp reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
1. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Spread tomatoes, onion, celery, and carrots over the top then cover with salsa. Pour 1/2 cup water over mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

2. Shred chicken with 2 forks. Stir in sour cream and serve.

Per serving: 140 Cal; 2 g Fat; 63 mg Chol, 1 g Fiber, 24 g Pro; 7 g Carbs; 560 mg Sod.

Old Weight Watcher Points: 3 per serving

I am guessing a serving is about 3/4 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment