Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I want a new car

Tony and I went car shopping a few weeks back. I really want a new car but have had a difficult time figuring out what to buy. We stopped at a few dealerships and nothing really stuck out to me. I like foreign cars but also do not want to pay an ass load for the luxury cars. I have a 2003 Jaguar right now. Sounds like luxury but is far from. I have 68,000 miles on it now and only owe about $9,000 with two years left on my loan. Some days it does not sound bad at all to just stick it out and pay the sucker off. Then there are days I would love a cheaper car payment since mine is $420 a month.

We did end up test driving one car. Of course it was not a cheap car. I got talked into test driving a Mercedes C class. The guy drives us off the car lot into a parking lot to show us how the car turns around in circles in such a tight radius. I wanted to vomit. Very neat turning radius but I do not know many people that want to spin around in parking lots. Maybe he should show that feature to teenage boys. Then he proceeds to tell us how he has worked for Mercedes Benz for some 15 years and never lost a person in a car accident. Many people may oh and aw at that statement but I am thinking…that you know of. I doubt someone will walk away from a Mercedes if a dump truck smashes into the front of the car. What an idiotic statement.

I get in the driver’s seat to start my test drive and the seat is not power. Are you f’ing kidding me? This may be a lower end Mercedes but it is still a Mercedes and I expect everything to be power. I test drive the car for about 20 minutes. It is OK but I am not overly impressed. The car was a 2006 with 40,000 miles on it and they still wanted $25,000. Hell NO! Many foreign auto dealers tack on another $4000 just to make the vehicle certified. Basically this means they put on new tires and brakes and charge you $4,000. We did not buy the car. Way more money and miles that what I want. I do have to say driving that car made me appreciate my Jaguar. Even though it is old I would have to spend $16,000 to get a Mercedes with not as many features, only 26k less miles, and only three years newer. Yeah paying off my car sounds even better.

One vehicle I am very interested in is the new Hyundai Tucson. It is a small SUV that gets 30 MPG and is pretty sweet looking for a Hyundai. I like the new model but will have to wait for a year or so to buy it. We will see how many times I change my mind between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment