Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend

This year Tony and I did not go to WI for the 4th of July. It did feel a little strange not being around family this time of year but we did make the most of our weekend.

Friday night we went to First Friday which Raleigh puts on the first Friday of every month. The galleries open up for viewing along with wine, snacks, and discounted specials at local restaurants. This was the first time Tony and I went to this event. We had a lot of fun but the art was not what we expected. It was terrible. We visited art galleries in Palm Springs and Scottsdale in the past and saw amazing art. Raleigh's art tour was put on by people that rented space to display their art. Most of it was so bad and you have to wonder how they price this garbage. I saw one framed art that was three pieces of wall paper in strips and they wanted like $600 for it. Are you kidding me? We did at least find a neat African store and homemade lotions. Tony and I met up with our friends and by that point in the night I had a few drinks in me. They took video of my last fall riding a mechanical bull and now they have video of me hula hooping while buzzed.

Saturday evening I made fondue. The first batch was horrible. I tried a new recipe and the cheese stuck together. My friend and I had to run out and get the ingredients for a different fondue that I made in the past. I did not get any pictures of it but can tell you this German Beer Fondue is really good. After dinner we met up with our other friends to watch the fireworks. The fireworks reminded me of Bill. He always used to volunteer with the fireworks. It was like for a moment in time he was still with us.

Sunday was a grill out at our friend's parent's house. They have a pool so we got a lot of exercise in. We went back Monday for more swimming.

Saturday I found these really cool hanging lights for outside at Ross. They were $6 for 3. I hung them from the trees. I found some items in my house to make glass candle holders. I took sea shells, votive candles, canning jars, ribbon, and sand to make these. It was super simple and the fact it did not cost me any thing was even better. All of the candle light and tiki torches really light up or back yard.





Hanging lights from Ross

German Cheddar and Beer Fondue
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 12 min Level:
Easy Serves: 4 servings Ingredients

Ingredients: 1 sack, 10 ounces, 2 1/2 cups, shredded sharp Cheddar, available on dairy aisle
1/4 to 1/3 pound, 4 to 6 ounces, Gruyere, shredded
1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup German lager beer
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
A few drops hot sauce
A few drops Worcestershire sauce

For Serving:
1 1/2 pounds cubed or thick sliced and browned wursts: knock, brat 
1 package mini party franks (recommended: Boars Head)
1 head cauliflower, separated into florets
1 small jar mini Gherkin pickles, drained
1 small jar pickled onions, available on vegetable aisle
1 small, round loaf rye, pumpernickel or sour dough bread, cubed

Directions:
Combine cheeses in a bowl with flour. Add beer to a small pot and bring up to a bubble over medium heat. Reduce the heat to simmer and add cheese in handfuls. Stir constantly, melting the cheese in batches. Stir in a figure-eight pattern with wooden spoon. When the cheese has been incorporated fully, stir in the mustard, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Transfer fondue to warm fondue pot.

In a large skillet, bring 2-inches of water to a boil and blanch the cauliflower for 2 to 3 minutes, drain and arrange around the fondue pot.

In the same pan, bring the cooking water back to a boil and add the mini franks and sliced wursts. Cook, uncovered until all the liquid has evaporated. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan to crisp the casings. Pile wursts and dogs near fondue. Complete the dipping selections with dishes of pickles, onions and cubed bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment