Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tony's Motorcyle Accident

Thursday morning I was still at home sick. My boss was letting me work from home so I would not get the rest of the office sick. I had an allergic reaction to both medications I was given so my bronchitis and pink eye are still healing on their own.

A little after 6:30 in the morning my phone rang. Normally I do not answer my phone but given the time of day I got out of bed and picked up the phone. It was a woman who said she was with Tony and Tony was in an accident. Tony took his motorcycle that morning to work. She put Tony on the phone and he was screaming in pain but it just hearing his voice and knowing he was alert helped keep me much calmer than I would have been.

I knew it would take a while for Tony to get to the hospital and a bunch of tests before I could even see him so I went to the bike first on my way to the hospital. I took all of his things out of the saddle bags so no one could steal them. His accident was on the news and advertised to criminals where it was. Even a news helicopter was over him.

When I got to the hospital I really thought Tony would not be in that bad of condition given his bike was not very messed up and since I was able to talk to him earlier. When I was finally able to see him I immediately had to keep strong so I would not scare him. He broke his collar bone, shattered his shoulder blade, his lung collapsed, and he had a lot of road rash. The doctors were still examining him when I was there so I did not know everything at that point but with his screaming I could tell it was not good.

We were at the hospital for four days. A lot happened in that time and most of it is a blur. We had friends that visited Tony and I think it was good for him to laugh with his friends. For the most part we had wonderful nurses that cared for him but there was one bad one that was removed from his case after I had a word with her and her manager.

Sunday we were able to go home. We stopped at Walgreens to get his medication. During that time some piece of trash slammed his car door into mine and dented it. Tony was in the car when it happened. When I confronted the guy about it he denied it and when I asked for an apology he threatened Tony fully knowing I had just picked him up from the hospital. Let me tell you – that instinct for the mother bear to protect her young kicked in. I was ready to do any thing to protect Tony. After a yelling match he finally left. We were in his side of town so of course the people around us would stick up for him. Amazing what type of losers are out there. The man was in his 60’s and still acting like a punk.

Let me tell you Tony and I have some amazing friends. I kept facebook updated on his status. So many people cared. Our Dave mowed our lawn for us. Dave and Greg moved our recliner from upstairs to downstairs. And then moved our loveseat upstairs. Right now the most comfortable thing for Tony is the recliner. So far I have not had to make dinner at all. Our friends are taking turns feeding us. I cannot believe what a relief it is not to have to worry about dinner. I never thought something as small as that would make such a huge difference in our day.

My boss has been letting me work from home while I care for Tony. I really work with some amazing people. I cannot imagine how hard this would be if I had to worry about my job through all of this.

So far right now the nights are the worst. It is hard for Tony to get comfortable while sleeping. I have to wake up twice during the night to give him his medication. I do have to say the funniest part is him wearing an old lady night gown that I bought him. It is light purple with butterflies and flowers on it. I figured it would be the most comfortable thing for him to sleep in and it is. He even admits it.

I will try to keep this blog updated on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment