Monday, October 18, 2010

Never Do a Load of Laundry When Away

Friday night I came home to one of the many worst nightmares a home owner could have. I put a load of laundry in the washing machine before I left in the morning. When I came home 10 hours later I found my hose came undone on my washing machine and water poured from my laundry room, down my hallway, and around the corner into my living room. What a mess! The water was already soaked in the hardwood flooring by the time I came home. I cleaned up the mess that was left and called my insurance agent to see what my deductible is. Luckily for me my deductible is only $500 and my rates will not go up with this claim. I waited a day to see if the wood would dry ok before filing. The top of my engineer hardwood was already starting to peel so I called Saturday morning and filed the claim.

Today the emergency hardwood restoration people came to my house. They wanted to immediately pull up the flooring to get rid of the moisture since the hardwood cannot be repaired. I refused since our friends are coming on into town on Wednesday and we did not have new hardwood picked out. There is also no way I am going to have my hardwood torn up with the chance of my dogs stepping on splinters. Right now there are high powered fans in my lower level drying out the walls and flooring to stop mold. They even had to rip up the carpeting in my bedroom to dry it out.

Tony and I went to Lumber Liquidators after they left and picked out our new flooring. We are going to buy medium color bamboo flooring and they have it in stock. Now I just have to wait for the money to be transferred from All State to my account. We are going to pay to have the hardwood torn up and then install it in our own to save money. We are going to use the money for the installation to pay for our upgraded flooring. We are hoping there may be a chance there is enough money left to buy new flooring for our bedroom but if not we can do that some other time.

Even though I can see the bright side of this it is all just at a very inconvenient time. I am also in the process of having my tile replaced in my kitchen and laundry room because my slab is in three pieces. We are fighting with the home builder on the cost of the tile. They are willing to pay to repair the crack under warranty but since Tony installed the tile they do not want to pay for the tile. It is not a huge deal for the laundry room but we do not want to rip up our entire kitchen. We put in expensive slate tile. Our home builder thinks it is ok to just replace the cracked tiles but matching the grout is going to be near impossible and the membrane they have to put down will affect height.

I have quite the mess on my hands for the next month or two while all of this is fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment