Monday, June 6, 2011

Savannah

This past weekend my original plans were to go camping with the dogs. The dogs love camping but the weather has been unbelievable hot so camping would not work out. Tony and I decided to change our plans and wend to Savannah instead. We took off of work Friday and had a nice three day weekend there. I was our first time visiting Savannah. Every time we went to Charleston we always heard people comparing the two cities as if they are competition. I disagree so much with comparing the two cities. They are completely different.


Outside the famous fountain in Savannah

We arrived on Friday afternoon. After checking into the hotel we went downtown. We took ride on a rickshaw for an hour. Our tour guide showed us around the historic area. It was nice to do that right away so Tony and I knew where to walk to. We had pizza along the river. The buildings on the river are so neat. They are made of cobblestone probably still from the early 1800’s. Friday night around 9 we took a private carriage ride through Savannah. We have done the group carriage rides in Charleston and I have to say the private tour is the way to go. You do pay twice as much but it is so worth it.

Saturday we went to Tybee Island in the morning. I love the beaches of Georgia and South Carolina. The water seems calmer than the North Carolina beaches. I love being able to go out with the boggy board and just float around. Tony however likes the NC beaches better. He likes the waves to ride in with the boggy board. There were box jellyfish everywhere on the beach. They are clear so you cannot spot them in the water and are some of the most venomous jellyfish out there. I am so glad we did not get stung. We also saw a dead horseshoe crab on the beach. The thing was about the size of a basketball!

Saturday afternoon we went back downtown and we realized we can drink in the streets! Savannah must be one of the only cities I have been to where it is legal to have a to-go cup and wonder the streets. Rather than paying bar fees I put a bottle of wine I brought from home in my purse and we filled up along the way. Must have looked funny when I pulled out my bottle and filled up outside the frozen yogurt shop. We just walked the streets on Saturday. It was extremely hot out – around 100 degrees. The wine, meds, and heat made me a bit cranky. We ate dinner at a tapas bar. I am not really a fan of them. You have to order a few items off the menu because they are “sample” size and each item on the menu costs what a regular meal is. Never going to one of those places again.

Sorrel-Weed House

Orb in the bottom right corner
We wondered upon a tour of the most haunted house, Sorrel-Weed house, in Savannah where one woman committed suicide and the other was murdered. There were teenagers on the tour and I wanted to duct tape their mouths shut. It ruined the tour. I did catch some orbs with my camera. The way to distinguish between orbs and dust is dust is see-through and orbs will have a glow and are not see through. After the tour we stopped for drinks at The Pink House in the basement. Very neat atmosphere.



Walking on Bay Street

One of my favorite homes in Savannah
 
These homes did not look like it but they are actually from the 1880's.


Sunday we went back downtown after checking out and drove through the neighborhoods. There are so many neat homes. I love how the streets are filled with the live oak trees. We ate lunch at the Pirate House. A real house pirates hung out at and some even died in there. Food was OK but the building was really neat inside.


Tony outside the Pirate House

No comments:

Post a Comment