Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stuffed Pasta Shells

I made this Sunday night before my surgery so Tony would have food to eat while I could not cook. This makes a lot of food! I had two trays of these. For two people I suggest cutting the receipe in half. It is very good. From Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.

Stuffed Shells - Serves 8

Ingredients
12 oz. dried jumbo pasta shells (about 35 shells)
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef (I used extra lean)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 28-oz. cans whole tomatoes
1 15-oz. carton whole-milk ricotta cheese ( I used light)
1 1/3 cups grated or finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (I used Parmesan)


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 15x10x1-inch baking sheet and a 3-quart oval or rectangular baking dish. (I used two 9x11 pans)
 
2. Bring a large pot of water, with 1 tablespoon salt added, to boiling. Add pasta shells and cook just until slightly tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain pasta and spread in a single layer on baking sheet to prevent them from sticking together.
 
3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add beef and 1 clove of garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 6 to 8 minutes, until no pink remains in beef. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
 
4. For tomato sauce, in a second skillet over low heat combine remaining olive oil, remaining garlic, and undrained tomatoes. (I partially draind the cans) Season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer over low heat; cook for 15 to 20 minutes until thickened somewhat, breaking up tomatoes with the back of spoon. (I used a food processor)
 
5. Stir 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce into cooled ground beef, then add ricotta and 2/3 cup of the Parmigiano; stir until combined.
 
6. Spoon 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce into prepared baking dish. Fill each pasta shell with about 1 tablespoon meat and cheese mixture. Arrange shells in prepared baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over shells, then sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup cheese.
 
7. Bake about 30 minutes, until filling is heated through and top is golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment