Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pasta Carbonara

Last week I made Pasta Carbonara from Woman's Day magazine. I served it with Parmesan Crusted Turkey Cutlets - check previous posts for that recipe.

I was excited when I found this recipe because I already have all the ingredients for it. I did not have linquine noodles, only angel hair so mine really turned into pasta carbonara balls. As I got to the end of the recipe I found the egg yolks are not cooked! They are tossed on top of the hot pasta. I am not a fan of uncooked eggs but I figured since I am putting on top of hot pasta it must be good enough. Well, Tony woke up with the shits and I was vomiting the next morning. Tony did love the meal and it did not stop him from eating it again that night but at least it was heated in the microwave so it was safe to eat that go around.

If you are willing to risk the shits here is the recipe.

Pasta Carbonara

Ingredients
12 oz linguine
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano (2 oz), plus more for sprinkling
6 oz sliced bacon (7 slices), cut into 1/4-in. pieces

Recipe Preparation
1.Cook the pasta accoring to package directions. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.

2.Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, Parmesan, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of the warm reserved cooking liquid.

3.Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the pasta to the skillet and toss to coat.

4.Transfer the pasta and bacon to the bowl with the egg mixture and toss until the noodles are coated (if the mixture seems dry, stir in additional reserved pasta water 2 Tbsp at a time). Serve immediately and sprinkle with additional Parmesan and pepper, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment