Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Our Labor Intensive Halloween

We started tearing up our hardwood flooring this past weekend. Friday we went to Lowes to pick up supplies and tile for our fireplace. Saturday Tony gave it pretty hard with tearing up the flooring. He worked from about 7:30 AM to 9 PM. I did my grocery shopping that morning and had every intention on helping him when I came home but a flu bug hit me when I was in Walmart. I thought I was not going to make it out of there before throwing up. Perfect timing to get sick. Once I returned home I laid down for a while and slept as best as I could with the noise. I tried helping Tony out as much as I could by throwing wood in the back of the truck, sweeping up small pieces of wood, and scrapping glue but this is a job that really is a man’s job.

The tile that will go on our fire place. Matches our kitchen.

Tony’s back kept locking up and I knew this was not going to be good if he kept doing this on his own. I suggested we hire our dog sitter. Tony wanted nothing to do with that at first. I finally convinced him he needed help so I hired Sean to help on Sunday. Tony reminds me of my dad when he wants to do everything himself and cannot admit he needs help. I learned over the years that whenever Tony takes forever to complete a project or does not want help I just start calling him Bob. He always used to make fun of how my dad never finishes anything when we first were together. Over the years I noticed Tony starting to become just like him so in those cases his name becomes Bob and then he starts to get things done.

Tony hard at work.

I could tell Tony was going to be in incredible pain on Sunday if I did not do something about it. I gave him anti-inflammatory medication and had him sit in the jet tub after he was done working. He said he felt like a kid but I knew he was enjoying the king treatment. Nothing like seeing your man take a bubble bath while reading a Harely Davidson catalog. It worked. The only thing that was sore on him Sunday was his hands from the blisters.

Sunday Sean and Tony worked really hard to get just about the rest flooring ripped up. Now we just have the hallway and part of the dining room left. We still have to scrape up the glue yet which is a pain the butt job. Tony is renting a machine today to help with the rest of the flooring. He was going to get it over the weekend but the place was closed.

Sydney was a pumpkin and Oscar a spider

We took the dogs around the neighborhood for Halloween dressed in their costumes. We did not have any trick or treaters. Next year I am not buying any candy. Lights will be out.
Jack was a bee

No comments:

Post a Comment