Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tony Joins in on Skin Cancer

After I found out about my skin cancer I sent Tony into the dermatologist for a full body check. He got is results back today for one of the moles sent off. The mole came back as dysplasia - the pre-stages for melanoma. I am so glad they caught is in time. He goes back in a few weeks to have more skin dug out of his leg to remove all the dysplasia. We sure would have looked like a funny couple if we had not gone into the doctor for the spots that just did not look right on us. We would have looked like pirates. Tony with a peg leg and me with one eye. I think when I go back to work after my surgery I am going to have to borrow Tony's Jack Sparrow wig since I will have an eye patch on.

I did find out I will need eye lid reconstruction. The first day is removing all the cancer and doing what plastic surgery they can to fix my face. My eye lid will still be an open wound until the next day so I get to sport the awesome eye patch. The second day I will be at Duke Cancer Center getting my eye lid reconstructed. Fun stuff. If only they included Botox in the price.

If you are reading this please schedule a full body check with your dermatologist!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about getting the full-body skin check especially if you spend a lot of time in the sun (or have in the past)... I did last August and it truly gives you peace of mind when the doctor says, "All Clear!" A very dear friend of mine who is in her 20s was diagnosed with a melanoma and now has to have frequent mole and skin checks, x-rays to check lungs and lymph node exams. She spent so much time in the tanning booth and ended up with a not-so-fun diagnosis.

    GET YOUR CHECKUP ASAP!

    ReplyDelete